Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Chicken Noodle Soup... For The Soul

One of the best memories I have as a child is when it would be sooo cold outside and I would come into the house and my Mom would be making her homemade chicken noodle soup. The smells were the best. You could smell the soup and the delicious rolls rising. Then, she would have her homemade pasta dough out and she would let me help her roll it out and cut it into noodles for the soup. She also had a different way, but delicious way of making a great recipe. We would put our soup on top of Mashed Potatoes, I know it sounds wierd, but trust me It's so delicious. It's always been one of my favorite memories. Not sure if it's becuase the food was so good, or it was fun to spend time baking with my Mom, or probably both I guess.
Well, to make it even better now, when Tyler and I got married LeAnne, my mother-in-law bought us a Kitchen Aid for Christmas. I ran that thing into the ground. I loved it. And between LeAnne and my Mom they got a lot of attachments that go to it. Love them all, but a great one is the one that lets me make my own homeade pasta. Of course it's probably becuase I served my mission in Italy and that makes it soooo much easier to make a lot of pasta's. I used my Kitchen Aid so much it died and my Mom got us a new one last year for Christmas because she knew how much I loved it. Being ill made it hard to do a lot of cooking or baking, but slowly getting well I'm finally getting my Cook back on. I've made it before, but I wanted to make homeade Chicken noodle soup again, so the kids could help. But, I have my secret weapon with my pasta maker. My poor Mom never had. But, I love it.  It makes making things homeade so fun and you can use all kinds of flour so you can make gluten free pasta and all kinds of stuff like that if you want. The kids had a lot of fun. hopefully it will be one of their great memories too. Here are some pics. It did warm my heart like it used to when I remember those things when I was little.
Here is the Beauty with the Pasta flattener. As you can see I love to make a huge mess when I cook.

Alaria's turn to flatten her piece of dough, as you can see it's a Sunday after Stake Conference we are in comfy clothes


Nick's Turn to flatten his piece


Now we get to use the attachment that makes these noodles


She thinks we should open a restaurant. haha

Her batch

Nick's batch

All of our noodles drying for a little bit
The batch of Chicken noodle soup, For our Soul's

Looks way bigger next to Nick


Well the kids got pretty antsy waiting for the soup to cook, The potatoes to be mashed, and rolls to cook. I have to say when I looked out the window It was a beautiful sight. Something I do love about Albuquerque, the sunsets.
If Only you could see it for real, very gorgeous


I was standing on top of a bench outside next to my house it cut some of the side of the pic off, oh well.


For some reason Alaria thought we we're in Hawaii after coming into the backyard and seeing the beautiful Sunset and Sand. She said all we had to do was pretend that the ocean was behind the fence. haha If only. Hawaii is a place i've always wanted to see, but this night Albuququerque felt pretty perfect to be with the family. With Thanksgiving coming up and we'll have no one coming to see us this year, sniff sniff. I decided we should go to the Ronald McDonald house, it's a house behind the University of New Mexico hopsital. It's the largest hospital in the state and trauma unit in the city for sure, maybe state not sure, but it's for families that have children in the hospital over the holiday's and they can't get home for Thanksgiving. Our ward has been providing dinner's for the past 4 years. We decided as a family to go help. But we'll be there in the morning to lend a hand. I think it will be good for all of us.We get the dinner ready and the families come down when they have a minute, so it is set up like a buffet. Our ward donates all the food. We will go and help get set up and get the food ready. We will get done early enough that we are also going to eat our own 1st thanksgiving dinner without family. We will do it with another family that is in our babysitting group, the Lindell's who moved from Utah. We are both lamenting on it being our first Holiday alone, without family, we are both stranded in Albuquerque where no one wants to visit. It will be a first for us both, so we will see how we do with all our " family dishes" But Alaria was down here Dancing the Hula, Crazy girl.

She is ALWAYS making me laugh

Our finished product, oh soooo good! Thanks for the family recipe mom

No comments:

Post a Comment